Photo: Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool
It’s all over, and once again, the Dakar Rally ends with an all-KTM podium, with Toby Price giving KTM its 18th straight win.
On the final stage, Price pulled out all the stops, despite his broken wrist, winning the stage and taking home his second Dakar title. Teammate Matthias Walkner rode cautiously behind; Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) was no doubt hoping to move to first overall, but fell 10 km into the special, and had to settle for third.
Then, to add insult to Quintanilla’s injury, the race’s organizers decided to reverse Sam Sunderland’s penalty from a couple of days ago, meaning he moved up to third overall, bumping the Husqvarna rider into fourth.
While the final race results were the focus of the day, it’s worth noting Honda’s Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo did well in the final stage, finishing second; teammate Kevin Benavides was sixth. Both of these guys are the real deal, despite their ill fortunes riding for Big Red (Florimo got a 15-minute penalty for an engine change), and acquitted themselves well this year, despite all the he said/she said drama around the team.
Further down the ranks, in 60th overall, Anastasiya Nifontova made history by becoming the first woman to finish the Dakar’s Malle Moto category (where no outside help is allowed to maintain the bikes). She is one of 16 racers to finish Malle Moto this year, out of 31 starters.
Anyway, it’s all over now, and we’ll have some final thoughts on this year’s race coming shortly. And one last thing: As per the terms of the wager between KTM factory rider Laia Sanz, the top-ranked female, and her teammate Price, she now gets to cut off his mullet (she had to place at least 15th to earn that privilege, and she ended in 11th overall). And Toby, for not only getting a top-five finish, but first overall, now gets to kiss her for a solid five seconds. We’re sure the carnage will be epic.
Stage 10 results
- Michael Metge, Sherco
- Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo, Honda, + 00:02:21
- Matthias Walkner, KTM, + 00:02:38
- Matthias Walkner, KTM, + 00:03:29
- Luciano Benavides, KTM, + 00:0320
- Kevin Benavides, Honda, + 00:03:59
- Andrew Short, Husqvarna, + 00:04;09
- Xavier de Soultrait, Yamaha, + 00:06:16
- Daniel Nosiglia Jager, MEC HRC, + 00:10:02
- Sebastian Buhler, Buhler Racing, + 00:10:41
Overall top 10
- Toby Price, KTM (00:01:33 penalty)
- Matthias Walkner, KTM, + 00:09:13 (00:03:00 penalty)
- Sam Sunderland, KTM, + 00:13:34 (00:02:00 penalty)
- Pablo Quintanilla, Husqvarna, + 00:20:46
- Andrew Short, Husqvarna, + 00:44:10
- Xavier de Soultrait, Yamaha, + 00:54:00 (00:01:00 penalty)
- Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo, Honda, + 01: 08:06 (00:15:00 penalty)
- Luciano Benavides, KTM, + 01: 09:10
- Oriol Mena, Hero, + 02:08:41
- Daniel Nosiglia Jager, + 02:31:53 (00:02:00 penalty)